This a blog about Signs of stomach ulcer.
The chronic gastric ulcer is usually single, 90% are situated in the lesser curvature within the antrum or at the junction between the body and antral mucosa. The chronic duodenal ulcer usually occurs in the first part of the duodenum and 50% are on the anterior wall. Gastric and duodenal ulcer ulcers coexist in 10% of patients and more than one peptic ulcer is found in 10-15% of patients.
Stomach ulcer can occur in gastrojejunostomy stoma or in a gastroduodenostomy stoma. GJ stomal ulcer per se can occur after only gastrojejunostomy or partial gastrectomy with Billroth referred to ulcer recurrence (after HSV commonly). The stomach ulcer can be easily cured. But they can be severed without proper treatment. So for proper treatment its better to know the sign of stomach ulcer which is described below.
1. Abdominal pain
A common signs of stomach ulcer is a pain in your upper abdomen. The nature of pain is usually burning and dull and occur in between the area of the breast bone and belly button. At first, the pain may be light and mild, but it can be severe after some days if it is left untreated. Taking antacid can relieve the pain but it will not be permanently treated until you visit the doctor. So abdominal is one of the important sign of the stomach ulcer.
If you want to know more about Abdominal pain, Check out this blog!
The stomach ulcer also includes the symptom of Nausea. Nausea is a feeling of sickness with the urge to vomit. Having stomach alters the chemistry of the gastric juices which will cause you to feel nauseous. This is is especially in the morning when you are with an empty stomach. Nausea has many possible causes. Some of the possible causes of nausea are appendicitis, migraines, food poisoning, and intestinal obstruction.
The symptoms of stomach ulcer may include vomiting. Vomiting after having food can be one of the reasons for the ulcer, food poisoning or gastritis. Usually, vomiting is harm, but it can be a sign of stomach ulcer and other serious complication. Some of the serious condition that includes vomiting are acute liver failure, appendicitis, pancreatic cancer, cholelithiasis, and gastric outlet obstruction.
Another signs of stomach ulcer is heartburn. It is a condition which is caused when gastric acid flows up into the esophagus. Having frequent heartburn no matter what you eat is a sign of stomach ulcer. The heartburn often manifests with the chest pain and causes one to hiccup after a meal. You need to visit a doctor to get proper medication which can heal very easily.
You might dismiss a bloated stomach with gas but it might be more serious than that. However if your bloating comes coupled with pain in your midsection, it might be signs of stomach ulcer. And should be checked out the bloating is one of the earliest sign of stomach ulcer.
6. Discolored stool
If you see blood in your stool, it is often a sign of a problem in the digestive tract. A stomach ulcer can be caused discolored stool that appears dark and bloody. A bloody stool may indicate that your stomach ulcer is growing rapidly and becoming more severe.
If you have any of these sign and symptoms you should seek treatment. A visit to a gastroenterologist can help you to heal this problem. Stomach ulcer doesn’t only causes pain but it also causes a serious complication like gastric ulcer perforation.
Causes of stomach ulcer
Some of the causes of stomach ulcer are:
- An infection with H. Pylori bacteria
- Prolong use of NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), such as aspirin, ibuprofen.
- Incomplete vagotomy
- Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, gastrinomas
- GFastrojejunowhen did without vagotomy-40%
- After HSV-10%
Facts on a stomach ulcer
Here are some important points on a stomach ulcer. More detail about signs of stomach ulcer is already discussed above.
- A stomach ulcer is common in western society.
- It is easy to treat but can causes serious complication too.
- The most common causes of stomach ulcer are bacteria and uses of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- The classic Signs of stomach ulcer is indigestion.
- Treatment of stomach ulcer is normally based on the underlying causes.
Stomach ulcer can be diagnosed with these investigations:
- Barium meal
- Hollander’s insulin test
- Pentagastrin test
- Gastrin level estimation
- Serum calcium and parathormone (PTH) to rule hyperparathyroidism
- Visick grading is used to access the response to therapy to various procedures.
The treatment of stomach ulcer depends on the causes of your ulcer. Most of the ulcer can be treated with no surgical method but some of the ulcer surgical treatment is most.
- H₂ receptor blocker ( drugs that also block the acid production)
- Stop use of NSAIDs
- Follow of endoscopy
- Treat hypergastrinemia, hyperparathyroidism
- Bismuth supplements
- Complete the vagotomy
- Undoing of GJ
- Conversion into another procedure, Roux-en-Y procedure
- Subtotal gastrectomy in resistant recurrent ulcer cases
- Eradication of H. Pylori infection using triple regime for 2 weeks and then the continuation of therapy using PPI for 3 months
How to eat with a stomach ulcer?
Here are some of the healthful diet which can prevent you from stomach ulcer:
- Avoid alcohol
- Cut down on caffeine
- Avoid food that is spicy
- Chocolates, citrus fruits, and tomato-based products can trigger heartburn in some people
- Eat a diet rich in fiber, especially fruits and vegetables
- Avoid fatty foods and high fried
A stomach ulcer is known as the ulcer in the anastomotic site of GJ/GD. the overall incidence is 10% in 10 years after surgery. It is common on jejuna sided but can occur on the gastric side or both sides or at the junction.
It is easy to treat but first of all, you should know the signs of stomach ulcer. The treatment is based on the underlying causes. You can follow some healthy diet to prevent a painful ulcer.
Also if you want to know more about How to lose weight fast without dieting? Read this blog!